Saturday, October 2, 2010

Y ahora: madrileña

And on the fifth day... I found an apartment!

I've been in Madrid for five days now, it's been really tough. I waited to blog about my time here until now because, although I had so much to say and write about, it would have all come off as extremely negative and pessamistic. I'm not saying I'm feeling totally positive and optomistic right now, although things are looking up. I am still not 100% happy, but when have I ever been? Not often...

The first few days were complete misery. Leaving home was really difficult this time. I feel like it was more difficult than when I left before. Perhaps I feel ready to plant some roots and stick around one place for a while. Or perhaps I am just jaded from having traveled lots already. I usually just blame it on Spain for sucking so much. I even started a list of all of the shitty things about this country. I will share that later, and it will continue to grow. I could probably add to it with each post I make, that might be funny.

Today I feel as if everything is more or less falling into place. I don't love it here, but it's not like I am going to die of hatred for this place. At least not any more than I already have... hah.

The place I am moving into tonight is in Puerta del Ángel, so not the center. I think it is a fine location because it is quiet, but not too far from the bus station where I go for work and also not too far from the center. Kind of like how in Cádiz I lived a bus ride away from most things (school, going out) and in Everett I lived far away from everything (UW, work in Kirkland, ultimate) but I deal with it pretty okay. Commuting has become part of my life and I don't adore it but it also doesn't make me go crazy like I imagine it would make some people. I had thought about possibly living near the school where I teach, but people talked me out of it. I don't think I'd hate living there, but I don't think it is the right option for me at the moment. I hope I made a good decision about my flat.

The roommates are one Spanish guy and one Italian guy. The Italian guy has a little dog that seems nice. When I got there to see the place the Italian guy was smoking hash. So that is interesting. The flat is sunny and has an oven and a washing machine. I don't think I saw a dish washer but a lot of places don't have dish washers. A lot of places also don't have ovens, which is a load of crap. So I'm glad to have an oven because I like to bake.

I want to get a bicycle because I think that would be convenient, especially since I live a few kilometers from the center and one of my friends is like 4km away, the other is nearer, only 2km away. Ultimate practices happen a few km away, but seriously everything is pretty close together.

I'll update about my life again soon, and maybe include my list of hates as well as some photos of my new flat.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Yay a flat! you are not homeless!